Thursday 29 November 2012

Evaluation of Origins Unit

Origins - Embroidery

From looking through my work, and evaluating what I have done and achieved over the whole unit, I personally don't think I have shown my full potential. I found this project extremely hard to get into and I found it hard for myself to bring out my best qualities in my work.  

Firstly I found it very difficult to work with a black and white pallet. To start i found two block colours hard to expand and develop, however as time went on during the embroidery unit i found using black and white can be a lovely way of working as it develops your use of texture. It also helped me work is a sensitive way using materials and different threads to create new interesting shades and colours of black and white. 

However, whilst i was dissapointed and finding it hard to develop my use of colour, i really enjoyed working on the machines. My favourite new skill being able to use the Taylor Tacking foot. This foot gave a new and exciting way of working, as it created a new element to the samples. I would want to work with this foot again, just to experiment with different colours and create dense and heavily concentrated piles. 


Throughout the project, I was finding it hard to link my embroidery with my 'Journey's' however, I have realised from looking back that there is always links in work, if its just a line or a way of drawing. I realised that in my work, I didn't need a link from start to finish i found that my work showed elements of my journeys project in small ways, for example; the way i used continueous messy line drawings, then they way my samples were messy and hepatic. I have also realised with art and design, things arn't always going to go the way you would like them too, but from this project and experience i have learnt you have to push through the things you dont like and carry on. As some of the things you havent liked previously can come up again for development.

From having my review, and getting my mark for this project it has made me determined to push myself in my next textile world. However I believe i have learnt alot of valuable skills in embroidery, even though I didnt push myself as much as i would have hoped. I am going to use it as a lesson, and i have learnt that the harder you work and the more effort you put in the easy your project will be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment